Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Telling Former Phillie Russ Wrightstone's Story

Russ Wrightstone played for the Philadelphia Phillies from 1920-1928. He was a pretty good hitter. No less an expert than Casey Stengel, a former teammate, called him "the best left-handed line drive hitter I ever saw." Grover Cleveland Alexander called him "the toughest man to get out in the National League." For his career with the Phillies he slashed a more than decent .298/.350/.492 in 899 games. 

I had the opportunity to write Russ Wrightstone's biography for the Society for Baseball Research (SABR) BioProject. The project is gathering 4,000 word biographies for all the players who ever played in the major leagues. It is a huge and on-going project that I am happy to be a small part of. I have written nine biographies to this point.

In beginning the research for these biographies, one of the first things I do is write to the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown to get the file they maintain on every major league baseball player. The files contain death certificates, scouting reports, old contracts, newspaper clippings, etc. Russ Wrightstone's file contained something a bit unusual. It was a letter written in 1969 by Wrightstone's 22-year-old grandson, Dennis Corby, to Hall of Fame historian, Lee Allen, two days after Wrightstone's death. The letter had sat in this file for 50+ years. It was, in part, a plea for some recognition for his ball playing grandfather. Dennis wrote in part:

I don't know if you are familiar with grandpa's records or not - today few people remember his accomplishments, but I do believe that many of  his old teammates definitely remember him. For this reason I ask that you possibly research his career and devote some space to him in your "Cooperstown Corner" column in The Sporting News. I pleaded with [The Sporting News] for several years to do a story on grandpa while he was living so that he might finally receive recognition and that he might be boosted mentally, but [The Sporting News] refused. I do not ask now for recognition or a resuscitative laudatory - the man has not lived to see that, but I ask for a short notice which he, at least, deserved - a memorial to Russ Wrightstone, a man who played hard, lived so moderately, and a baseball lover 'til eternity.

Dennis Corby's 50-year-old plea affected me profoundly. I decided to see if I could find him and talk to him about his grandfather and I determined that my biography, though years too late, would stand as that memorial to Russ Wrightstone. Through some internet sleuthing, I found a Dennis Corby who was still alive, was formerly from the Harrisburg area, and was currently residing in Fullerton, CA, where he worked as a financial advisor. I thought this must be the author of the letter but I wasn't sure. I wrote to the Fullerton address I had, included my contact information, and crossed my fingers. Sure enough a week later I got an email from "Denn" Corby, Russ Wrightstone's grandson, thanking me for my letter and saying he was eager to talk to me. 

A week after that we had a one-hour telephone call where Denn shared his memories of his grandfather and where the two of us bonded over our mutual love of baseball and our fond interest in Russ Wrightstone's career. Denn shared stories of his grandfather's devotion to baseball and how he was always dropping by the sandlots in the West Shore area near Harrisburg to share his knowledge of the game with youngsters. Sometimes he would bring friends who happened to drop by for a visit with him. On one memorable occasion, Russ showed up with a friend whom he did not introduce. The friend offered some hitting tips. Only later did Denn learn that this friend was none other than Hall of Fame outfielder, Paul Waner. Former major leaguers were always dropping by to visit Russ Wrightstone.

Denn shared how his mother, Betty Wrightstone Corby, was a "dugout baby," often accompanying her father to spring training in St. Augustine, Florida and hanging out in the dugout with visiting players like Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig. While Russ was on the field practicing, other players would provide babysitting services. Denn also told me about Russ' son, Bob Wrightstone, a talented player, who pitched briefly in the St. Louis Cardinals organization. Both Bob and Russ were also accomplished golfers who competed successfully in local tournaments.

The affection Denn Corby had for his grandfather came through loud and clear on the telephone. It enhanced the biography I was writing immeasurably. I was proud to be able to tell the story and fulfill a 50-year-old wish. Russ Wrightstone died in 1969 after a 10 year battle with leukemia, but he left behind a grandson determined that his hero would be remembered.

The stories that baseball allows us to tell, both of the famous and the not so famous are limitless. You can read my SABR biography of Russ Wrightstone here.





No comments:

Post a Comment